Saturday, July 11, 2009

Swiss chard with udon, raisins, garlic and toasted pumpkin seeds / baked marinated tempeh



First, I should mention that I've never really liked Swiss chard. It's just too beety tasting, and I'm not thrilled with beets. That said, I will eat these things if I come upon them at the table. My son and d-i-l in Seattle are very fond of Swiss chard and when they cook it it always tastes much better than I think it will. It tastes good, and makes me think I don't dislike it after all. But it's not something I would buy on purpose at the store. I'd rather have kale.


The garlic is added to the wok.

However, this year when we planted the garden - a garden that will be beneficial mainly to our renters since we'll be gone before most of it is ready to eat - I decided to plant Swiss chard because it grows fast, and the thought that I might be able to actually eat something from the garden other than lettuce, was enough to get me past my true feelings. Well, yahoo, the chard is indeed ready, and today I gathered a huge bowlful of thinnings. (The pole beans are also doing well and who knows, maybe we'll get a few of those. And the broccoli plants have tiny broccoli heads forming. And the Tumbling Tom tomato is covered with green cherry tomatoes, so there's a glimmer of hope that we might get to harvest something besides Swiss chard before August 15.)


The Swiss chard gets stir-fried in the wok.

Anyway, faced with this giant bowl of fresh greens, I had to cook something. I made a simple dish from the chard with crimini mushrooms, lots of garlic, raisins and toasted pumpkin seeds, and it wasn't too bad. It was seasoned with Shark brand sriracha. (I read that Shark sriracha is a more traditional chili sauce than the commonly used rooster brand. It's what is used in Thailand, and unlike Rooster sriracha, it has no preservatives. Now if only it didn't have 20% sugar. In Australia, my husband was able to find chili sauce that contained neither preservatives or sugar, but we haven't found anything like that here. If you know a good brand, please let me know.)

This is a very flexible recipe, and in keeping with that theme (and because I didn't measure), I'm going to be a little vague with ingredients and cooking directions. It's the basic idea that counts.



Swiss chard with udon noodles
  • about 2 cups crimini (or whatever) mushrooms, sliced
  • handful of raisins (1/4 cup?)
  • olive oil
  • lots of fresh garlic, minced fine (at least 1 tablespoon)
  • 1 tablespoon sriracha chili sauce (more or less to taste)
  • handful of grape tomatoes, halved (I would have added these but we didn't have any!)
  • BIG bunch Swiss chard, leaves and stems, roughly cut
  • 10 ounces udon noodles
  • fresh ground black pepper
  • handful of pumpkin seeds (or sunflower seeds), toasted
  • chopped green onions might be nice added at the end, though I didn't add any
  1. First toast the pumpkin or sunflower seeds in a wok until browned and fragrant. Set aside in a small bowl.
  2. Cook the udon. Drain it, rinse it well with cold running water and drain again. Place it in a bowl and toss with toasted sesame oil.
  3. Cook the mushrooms and raisins for a minute or two in oil in a wok. As they begin to soften, add the garlic and cook for a minute. (Add a little more oil if needed.)
  4. Mix in the sriracha and tomatoes, then add the chard and stir fry briefly until the chard is wilted, mixing ingredients together.
  5. Add the noodles to the wok and toss for a minute until noodles are heated.
  6. Place in serving bowl and grind pepper over the noodles.
  7. Sprinkle the toasted pumpkin seeds over all.



We had our chardy noodles with Basic Oven-Baked Marinated Tempeh from Crescent Dragonwagon's "Passionate Vegetarian."